Site Sponsors > JoferUSA

Alloy Caster and Wheelbase Adjustment Washers

<< < (2/5) > >>

BeatsMe:
Thanks Garfield, I have tried those, with them fitted the wishbones are too loose. And you then have to still find a washer that fills the gap and does not bind the up and down movement of the wishbones.  Also, they are useless on the rear lower hub hinge pin as it is only 5mm in diameter.

BeatsMe:
Well in that i have been re-building the rear end of my RRV4 at the moment, I have noticed something that imo is a design error with regards to the larger 6mm Y-clips that are provided by MCD, these are used on the upper wishbone / hinge pin location.

This has to do with the location that the rear hinge pin sits when inserted into the rear towers, note that on the rear towers the hinge pin/wishbone is tilted and therefore a raised section and an indented section has been created at the top and bottom of the three holes that the hinge pin is inserted into, of both the inner and outer rear towers. Note that the front towers are different and so there is no problem at the front tower location... this applies only to the rear towers.

Anyhow, what i'm on about here (if you're still reading this) is that the 6mm Y-clips do not sit in that indented section correctly, simply because the 6mm Y-clips are too large (14mm diameter) and do not fit into the indented section.  So if you're running you car with the upper wishbone in the middle Roll Centre location you will most likely not experience any problems, however, running your car with the wishbone in either of the upper or lower Roll Centre locations basically means that the Y-clip is not seated correctly and this can cause it to pop out.

Which is what may have happened to me on one occasion, hence, the reason i started to using the washers.  Only thing that i still didn't realise is that the washers that i was using where also too large (14mm diameter again) and so this would have had a binding effect on the rear upper wishbones... which in turn would have restricted the suspension movement in the rear.

So i went out and got myself some smaller diameter washers to experiment with and have now found that the full washers that i would like to have made need to be...

6x12x4.5mm : For the upper wishbone hinge pins front and rear.

5x12x3.9mm : For the lower hub hinge pin rear only.

I'm hoping that this new size should make it a bit easier for manufacturing as the same size alloy rod could be used.

307R8:
Hey Franco,

I tend to agree with you as I've been playing around with my setup and think the same thing. Great idea!

Put me down for a set please. I hope more people are of the same opinion, so it brings the overall tooling costs down for all of us?

Thanks for organising for us MCD Racers  ;)

Dave

BeatsMe:
No worries Dave, will let Joe know.

Have to say that i'm a bit surprised over the lack of comments and/or interest in this.

Redline:
To be honest, I have not had a problem.

I am sure there is an issue there if you say there is, but I just haven't experienced it on mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version