Author Topic: Forum Suggestions  (Read 17192 times)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
Forum Suggestions
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to improve this forum??

This forum has been getting stronger with more and more regular members logging on within any 24 hour time frame, averaging at about 40 members per 24 hours and peaking at just over 60 at times... and this does not include Guests.

So i would love to hear from anyone.... that would like to suggest any changes, something added or removed.

Please don't hesitate to post or even pm me if you'd prefer to keep your suggestion private.

Cheers,
Franco.

Offline AndrewJames

Re: Forum Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Inclusion of a like button for posts so that people can see you are interested in what they have to say.
Geelong R.C. Off Roaders Inc.
President

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »
I've got a busy weekend working, so i'll look in to installing the feature.

I've personally not wanted this forum to become like a Facebook, where members just "Like" a post rather than post a comment or their opinion.....

but, lately seems that of the odd 40+ members that are here daily, only 4 or 5 are actually posting.

So guess it's time to give it a go  :)

Anyone else have any thoughts??    on the subject of a "Like" button??

Offline starefly

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »
what about a kind of DIY section ?

Meaning posting different improvements/adaptations (bodies mod, tires, differential, Shock Absorbers...) that users performed on their cars ?

Offline robw

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
how about a gear ratio chart that's easy to work out? I have ratios that are not on the charts on this forum, would be good to know how to work out the ratios in easy terms :)
MCD BRUSHLESS RR5
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
MCD BRUSHLESS V4 MT
MCD BRUSHLESS RRV4
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline justchris

• Semi-Newbie
  • Chris day
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:45:41 AM »

I've personally not wanted this forum to become like a Facebook, where members just "Like" a post rather than post a comment or their opinion.....

but, lately seems that of the odd 40+ members that are here daily, only 4 or 5 are actually posting.

Hi beats me
                 I'm on daily logged in or guest but here.
                 Now some one like me has nothing to offer ( being a TOTAL newcomer)
                  But the facility to thank people like yourself  ( by the use of a like button or similar)
                  would be great,also it would allow people like yourself to know your info
                   Is being read/ helping out.
Ambition  above  Ability. And  Adhesion
A FINAL CAR   E FINAL DRIVER

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »

Meaning posting different improvements/adaptations (bodies mod, tires, differential, Shock Absorbers...) that users performed on their cars ?

Thanks for your comment Marc.
I actually considered something along that line, but just never got around to it.... i'll look into it real soon.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
how about a gear ratio chart that's easy to work out? I have ratios that are not on the charts on this forum, would be good to know how to work out the ratios in easy terms :)

Thanks for the comment Rob.
I assume you know that there are a few spreadsheets on here already, somewhere  :unsure:
I can add more gear sets to them, but then they will just get more complicated and hence more confusing.... so really not sure about this one, spreadsheets can be confusing if you're not familiar with using them.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

Hi beats me
                 I'm on daily logged in or guest but here.
                 Now some one like me has nothing to offer ( being a TOTAL newcomer)
                  But the facility to thank people like yourself  ( by the use of a like button or similar)
                  would be great,also it would allow people like yourself to know your info
                   Is being read/ helping out.

Thanks Chris... ok i'm convinced, will setup it up very soon.

Offline robw

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 02:41:04 AM »

Thanks for the comment Rob.
I assume you know that there are a few spreadsheets on here already, somewhere  :unsure:
I can add more gear sets to them, but then they will just get more complicated and hence more confusing.... so really not sure about this one, spreadsheets can be confusing if you're not familiar with using them.
hi franco,
yes, saw the spread sheets, just curious to know where the gears I have fit on the sheets, I noticed theres a 27/36 but cant find metal gears for that, only the "plastic type" I have the 26/37 23/26, also just received the blackbone 24/39 gears, its great to see what difference the ratios make, im assuming some of the ratios are not worth putting on the spreadsheat because the engine/motor would never turn it, eg 39/24 30/19, shame theres not just a formula available that you can just put in the size of gears and it automatically converts to a ratio, :D I googled "how to work out gear ratios, I was confused with 2 gears let alone 4,   
MCD BRUSHLESS RR5
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
MCD BRUSHLESS V4 MT
MCD BRUSHLESS RRV4
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »

I have created a board for this, you can all find it here...
http://www.mcdracingforum.com/index.php?board=62.0

So if anyone has anything they'd like to put up please go ahead  :good:

Just on the Like button thing, have not had time to get that one tested due to my home renovation at the moment, my test server is not accessable and i won't be installing it onto the live system.

So will get to it soon.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:22:20 PM »
Just a short update....

I have recently been made aware that an updated forum software version used here will be released by the guys at SMF.  So i will not be applying any new mods to this forum.

The new version, i have read will include some very fancy features... but, unfortunately we will need to wait a little longer to be able to use it, as it is currently only in the Beta stage and is not recommended for any live forums.

I will let you know more as any info becomes available.

Regards  ;)
Franco.

Offline Selwa

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 12:13:47 AM »
Something I noticed and might have missed it is a "New Posts" button. Makes a huge difference when logging in and seeing new post instead of searching through the dates and times on the right side....
Joe Selwa

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:21 AM »
Yeah, there's no New Posts button, might look at doing it in the new version of SMF.... but, for now you know there is the "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the top of the site, just below your username??

For now bookmark this link...

All New Posts

Offline mickyd213

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
There is the "recent posts" listing down the bottom of the home page. Tells you who's posted, the topic and time of post.