Author Topic: Forum Structure  (Read 14177 times)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
Forum Structure
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any feedback they'd like to provide with regards to the current structure of the forum.

Specifically, i'm wondering if you find any sections misleading, or confusing as to where to post your topics ??

Also, any sections that you think should be combined or removed, or perhaps the description of the section needs to be improved ??

Very keen to hear of your ideas, so that we can look into making this site better to use.

Cheers,
Franco.

Offline harryhackenbacker

• MCD GURU
  • Legend Member
Re: Forum Structure
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:33 AM »
I think I would like MCD talk section at the top ,but really it's what you are used to , too many
changes and extra sections , are not needed ,some forums are too big ,and you take forever
to get stuck in  ;) ;) ;)  Are we going to try the Shout box ???  . ;) ;)

Offline CyberSarge

• Andy Love
    • Maxcamper
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:09:17 AM »
I agree with Mike and a shout box would be good!
Losi 5ive B / Losi 5iveT/ Hyper 8 Pro / 1/10 MST XXX-D VIP Drift car
Nene Valley 2013/14 Winter Series Champion! / 4th in the UK's 2015 Challenge Cup!
A clean car is a maintained car!

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
I tend to agree with the MCD Talk section, should be just below the Community section... but, in all honesty i think it would be better to just move the Trading Post down to bottom below the Sponsors, then all else will be placed correctly.

Also, I'm considering a revamp of the MCD Vehicles section, as i tend to think that this is the section that is the most confusing.  In that, i think that most don't know whether to post about their RRV4, for example, in the MCD Race Runner V4 board or in the Pics & Video's board... or for that matter in one of the MCD Talk boards... so we end up with posts all over the place.

If you see what i mean, so i'm considering removing the Pics & Video's and making the whole MCD Vehicles a section dedicated to showing off your MCD (in the relevant model) or for your build topics.  And changing the descriptions to reflect the change so there really is no confusion.

Lastly, the shout box... personally i'm not keen on it, mostly because i have seen it go bad on a forum and it end up being removed.  One of the problems with having a shout box is that people will use it to ask their questions rather then post their questions.

• MCD GURU
  • Legend Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
On reflection I kind of like it the way it is , people know their way , if you talk about your car
V4 or X4 ,if it's a general thing across models tuning or whatever ,the Idea of pics and vids ,
is a post accompanied by a story ,in relevant section ,pure pics /videos ,in that section .
As I said Earlier keep it simple , the content /posts and info are far more Important , you
also have to remember non English speaking people know how it's set out , Like I can find my
way around German suppliers web sites without translate ,because I know where things are ,
I know a couple of people who changed their web sites ,and business almost stopped  ;)
You can polish a car as much as you want ,but if you hide the engine ,it won't go anywhere  :lol: :lol:

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »
ummm i'm a little lost with your sudden turn around there Mike  ??? ??? ???

The Trading Post section can stay the way it is, so no change with regards to the current layout... but, what i'm suggesting with the MCD Vehicles section is not a layout change and would only make things less confusing, especially for the non-english speaking members so really don't see a problem with it.

Because between the MCD Talk and MCD Vehicles sections i think that most members, especially new members, are confused with the usage of them.... this is what i'm trying to clarify and improve on.

Anyone else like to post their opinion on the subject ??

Offline Redline

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
It is somewhat confusing with MCD tuning... And MCD tech disc... in MCD Talk and then a separate MCD vehicles section where information can be repeated potentially.

IMO, move Trading Post to the bottom.
Leave MCD Talk section but amalgamate MCD Tuning, etc and MCD Tech Disc. into MCD Vehicles (amalgamated into the appropriate forum) and don't have them at all.
Leave Pics & Vids
Change MCD Talk to something else and add in the forums from General Discussion.

That's about it.

• MCD GURU
  • Legend Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Tech discussion and tuning into one ,call it MCD Tech ,call the board  MCD Sections , MCD component
MCD Broken down , Mistake to drop trading to the bottom ,popular section for bargain trawlers .
Everyone will do this different ,and have different Ideas ,but the messages I am getting say
don't want to get Involved in a debate ,but leave it be, bar the odd minor tweak , I tend to
agree  ;) ;)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
I don't have a problem with leaving the Trading Post as is... but there is a lot of confusion with the MCD Talk and MCD Vehicles sections, and leaving things as is doesn't make for any improvements to the confusion.

Funny you say "messages I am getting say don't want to get Involved in a debate".... i haven't got any regarding this and this is not a heated debate... just a query to make improvements.

To all members:  This is your forum, don't be intimidated or afraid to have your say.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »
I will be going ahead with the changes as outlined by Redline very soon, if anyone has any other comments or suggestions please post here.

Cheers,
Franco.

It is somewhat confusing with MCD tuning... And MCD tech disc... in MCD Talk and then a separate MCD vehicles section where information can be repeated potentially.

IMO, move Trading Post to the bottom.
Leave MCD Talk section but amalgamate MCD Tuning, etc and MCD Tech Disc. into MCD Vehicles (amalgamated into the appropriate forum) and don't have them at all.
Leave Pics & Vids
Change MCD Talk to something else and add in the forums from General Discussion.

That's about it.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
You may have noticed that i have been making some of the changes and tidying up a bit... no posts have been deleted.  I have not used redirections on anything as there were simply too many and that would have made the forum a mess with them everywhere.

If you are looking for anything you may have posted a while back, you will most likely find it in the "MCD General Discussion" section, but some engine related topics i have moved to the "Engine" section.

Also, the Trading Post section is now at the bottom of the forum just past the SPONSORS, so scroll down and have a look.  I'll be posting more about the Trading Post section soon.

Happy times ahead  :D

Offline OzMCD

• F'gn RR5 Bitch
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:29 PM »
Looks great, and im getting messages also saying its great  :lol:
Mummy mummy that man said he won't be my friend if i buy an MCD

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
That's great news mate, thanks for the feedback.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
Just so you all know, the Pictures & Videos board has been moved into the "MCD Talk" category.

It hasn't been deleted  :D