Author Topic: Alloy Caster and Wheelbase Adjustment Washers  (Read 23681 times)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
Alloy Caster and Wheelbase Adjustment Washers
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
Hi all,

Been talking with Joe about getting these made up out of alloy...

041600P0 - Upper Wishbone Y-Clips 6mm for Caster Adjustment

041100P0 - Rear Hub Y Clips 5mm For Wheelbase Adjustment

Well i once lost one at the track after it somehow popped out, and from then on i resorted to using 0.9mm steel washers...

Which has been working fine except for the fact that when you have to dismantle that area in a hurry, you normally end up with the washers flying everywhere and then spend 10 minutes on your hands and knees trying to find them all in the long grass :lol: :lol: :lol:

So this brings me to this topic of seeing if others are interested in these, don't have any pictures of them because they have not been made as yet.  The main reason i'm doing this is to try and keep the price down by increasing the quantity that Joe will make, as understandably Joe has a minimum for machining time and therefore cannot just machine a small handful just for me.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested can you please make yourself known here.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
Re: Alloy Caster and Wheelbase Adjustment Washers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
Also, here are the measurements that i sent to Joe to make these...

6x14x4.5mm

and

5x13x3.9mm

I simply measured the plastic ones, so would be good if some of you could confirm that my measurements are correct... so that way there are no errors after machining.

Cheers,
Franco.

Offline mcdv4

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
Are you going to make them the same design as standard?

With my HPI Baja I click them on after I fit the pin in, but if made out of alloy I don't think you could push them on.

If so you might not need the slot in them as they would be fitted as you slide the pin through.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
No not as the standard Y clips, my original suggestion to Joe was to make basically a thick washer as per the sizes in my post above.  So with these you would have to remove the hinge pin completely to make adjustments... I don't find this to be a problem because once adjusted right i personally don't change it.

Offline Garfield

• MCD blog (german)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
you could use these maybe:
http://www.mogatech.de/shop/Caster-adjustment-spacer-Aloy

They have been used for same pupose on all MCD before V4. They are 8mm thick, not sure if that fits on a V4
Rallye: Abarth 1000 TCR - Silverline // Lancia Delta hf integrale - Proline // BMW 3.5 CSL - Proline
Blueline: Hummer H1 // Eagle II
Buggy: RaceRunner - Evo3 // Baja 1000 brushless - Evo3
Special: Trialtruck // Wild Willy XL

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:58:45 PM »
Thanks Garfield, I have tried those, with them fitted the wishbones are too loose. And you then have to still find a washer that fills the gap and does not bind the up and down movement of the wishbones.  Also, they are useless on the rear lower hub hinge pin as it is only 5mm in diameter.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
Well in that i have been re-building the rear end of my RRV4 at the moment, I have noticed something that imo is a design error with regards to the larger 6mm Y-clips that are provided by MCD, these are used on the upper wishbone / hinge pin location.

This has to do with the location that the rear hinge pin sits when inserted into the rear towers, note that on the rear towers the hinge pin/wishbone is tilted and therefore a raised section and an indented section has been created at the top and bottom of the three holes that the hinge pin is inserted into, of both the inner and outer rear towers. Note that the front towers are different and so there is no problem at the front tower location... this applies only to the rear towers.

Anyhow, what i'm on about here (if you're still reading this) is that the 6mm Y-clips do not sit in that indented section correctly, simply because the 6mm Y-clips are too large (14mm diameter) and do not fit into the indented section.  So if you're running you car with the upper wishbone in the middle Roll Centre location you will most likely not experience any problems, however, running your car with the wishbone in either of the upper or lower Roll Centre locations basically means that the Y-clip is not seated correctly and this can cause it to pop out.

Which is what may have happened to me on one occasion, hence, the reason i started to using the washers.  Only thing that i still didn't realise is that the washers that i was using where also too large (14mm diameter again) and so this would have had a binding effect on the rear upper wishbones... which in turn would have restricted the suspension movement in the rear.

So i went out and got myself some smaller diameter washers to experiment with and have now found that the full washers that i would like to have made need to be...

6x12x4.5mm : For the upper wishbone hinge pins front and rear.

5x12x3.9mm : For the lower hub hinge pin rear only.

I'm hoping that this new size should make it a bit easier for manufacturing as the same size alloy rod could be used.

Offline 307R8

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »
Hey Franco,

I tend to agree with you as I've been playing around with my setup and think the same thing. Great idea!

Put me down for a set please. I hope more people are of the same opinion, so it brings the overall tooling costs down for all of us?

Thanks for organising for us MCD Racers  ;)

Dave
MCD RRV4 Cheetah

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
No worries Dave, will let Joe know.

Have to say that i'm a bit surprised over the lack of comments and/or interest in this.

Offline Redline

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
To be honest, I have not had a problem.

I am sure there is an issue there if you say there is, but I just haven't experienced it on mine.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
Fair comment Mat, but it's just that if you haven't changed the rear wishbone settings then you wouldn't have noticed anything.  Just so happens that only just this week, while fitting the Mogatech Hubs, i did try the lower/upper Roll Centre position and after tightening up the nut i noticed that the whole wishbone assembly would not move up and down freely.  And that was without the shocks fitted... also this extra stiffness would not be helping much on a bumpy track, where a nice soft shock movement is very important.

Offline soundman

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »
I would like to see these made, as I am changing my hubs to the mogatech alloy hubs, and think that this would be a great improvement. Especially when the alloy wishbones are out for the x4. These will make for a solid suspension.
Maybe some bright colored ones so we can see them through the grime on inspection between runs.
I eat cheese.........

Offline harryhackenbacker

• MCD GURU
  • Legend Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
I would probably have some , the plastic ones ,sometimes are ok ,sometimes a pain ,and a dirt trap ,
Perhaps the race guys like them , they are good in the camber adjustment place (much easier )
even plastic full washers would do .
The only thing is the open spacers cope with the angle better ???  not sure  ;)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
Some good ideas here from Soundman and Mike... anodised alloy, i personally would like them in yellow... but this would increase the cost and i think at this point, due to lack on interest, might be best to keep it simple.  Or even a plastic version, don't see why Joe couldn't CNC a plactic rod instead of alloy... would have to be the right plastic though.

Not really following you with the angle thing Mike... are you talking about the indented/raised sections that i referred to in my early posts.

Offline joferusa

• www.joferusa.com
    • www.joferusa.com
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
Sorry guys had not seen the comments until today
give some time to others to see if more interested,
make it in plastic or aluminum? the difference in price is a bit more economical, but not much
anodized? more expensive
tray one week more franco, and then we see
cheers