Author Topic: MCD Rally- I Finally Have One  (Read 966 times)

Offline Doza28

• Semi-Newbie
MCD Rally- I Finally Have One
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:01:39 AM »
For as long as I have been into Rc Cars, Ive loved 5th scales. It all started when i was 10 and saw some Yankee Rc cars on a demonstration at Brands Hatch at the 1992 BTCC meeting. Their size and smell got a little 10 year old pretty excited.

Over the years, I have had various 5th scale cars. 3 Fgs, a Lorry, a SWB Porsche Sportsline 08 and a Competition spec BMW 4 years ago. A HPI Baja has also found its way into my ownership list. However, ive always loved the MDC Rallys and the videos online just look so cool.

I have recently been in a position to buy another 5th scale, and although i love the look of the Losi 5t, i knew if i was getting another one, it had to be the Rally. The X4 was probably the car to get from a spares perspective, but the bodyshell was not to my taste.

Incredibly hard to find parts for, but i just had to have one. I started a thread recently in the General discussion area about this as i had found what i thought was a Proline rally on ebay. Having spoken to the the owner, a deal was done and yesterday i came away with two cars. A Rally (which i now believe to be a blackline) and a Brand Spanking new Proline chassis. I figured that given the difficulty in finding parts, if i could strike a deal to buy two, at least i`ve have spares. As it happens, i`ve (probably much to the shock of some people on the forum) decided to fit all the parts and radio into the proline chassis.

The other chassis is odd. Some research and some helpful advice on here suggested it wasnt a proline, but the confusing thing about it was that it has oil shocks, albeit with black top mounts not red,so that made me think it wasnt a blackline. It does however have mostly black suspension parts as well as a spool in the front. The fuel tank is also mounted slightly differently. Either way, for the price i paid, the radio gear, engine and pipe are covered by the cost anyway, plus i got a nice Focus body too which has hardly seen use. He also threw in an extra set of wheels too.

All in all, very happy i finally have one. I have a nice big industrial estate where my unit is, as well as a huge field behind my house.

Today i spent the day fitting everything and swapping bits over. I have also fitted a Killswitch. Important in any 5th scale, let alone one where parts can be hard to source. Looking forward to running it some time this week.

Pics attached.
Proline Rally
... and the odd Tamiya too!

instagram @antonshobbies

Offline Anthony30

• Semi-Newbie
  • Grumpy midget. :)
Re: MCD Rally- I Finally Have One
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »
 :good:

I've got a VRC V3 pipe for sale. Don't know if the pipes are different for the rally cars though. I've currently got a Evo 3 Race Runner comp. :D I've found the buying & selling of V3 parts to be non existent, and needs to be improved IMO. ???

Offline Doza28

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:39:36 AM »
:good:

I've got a VRC V3 pipe for sale. Don't know if the pipes are different for the rally cars though. I've currently got a Evo 3 Race Runner comp. :D I've found the buying & selling of V3 parts to be non existent, and needs to be improved IMO. ???

I have seen your exhausts on ebay. I really like the Samba thats on it though, so i`m not so sure they would be for me even if they did fit the rally models.

Id be inclined to agree with you on parts trading. The more people can trade, the more chance we all have of keeping the older models in action. I have an engineering shop we use for the car related stuff i work on, so i may pop and speak to them about potentially making some of the parts most likely to break. From what i have read, the Damper forks seem to be the most common part to fail.  ???

Proline Rally

instagram @antonshobbies

Offline erdl k

• Respected Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
Looks great , have fun with your new proline  :good: I'm waitting your videos :)
MCD Proline Rally 2017 Ek Special Edition  
Futaba 4 PKS - 2,4 Ghz FASST

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 05:57:17 PM »
Enjoy mate  ;)

Just be careful with the clone plastic parts.... they're nowhere near as strong as the mcd plastic.
MCD RR5 Factory Team Limited Edition with Loew Racing upgrades (:

www.mcdracing.com.au   Facebook    Contact Us

Quote of the day...
"I will say this though  The RR5 has NO TROUBLE with oversteer.  OR making quick work of tight corners   (something the Losi 5ive struggles HUGE with)"

Offline Doza28

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »
Enjoy mate  ;)

Just be careful with the clone plastic parts.... they're nowhere near as strong as the mcd plastic.

Thats why i decided to transfer it all over to the Proline chassis. :D Didnt want to risk it even though i`m not going to go mad with this thing.

Im assuming then the other car i have is a Clone and not a Blackline. That would make sense given its got Oil Shocks and not the plastic type. 
Proline Rally

instagram @antonshobbies

Offline erdl k

• Respected Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »

Im assuming then the other car i have is a Clone and not a Blackline. That would make sense given its got Oil Shocks and not the plastic type.

I don't think so there is not Clone chassis as like as proline chassis . I think black shock upper joint plastic is belong to X4 .

MCD Proline Rally 2017 Ek Special Edition  
Futaba 4 PKS - 2,4 Ghz FASST

Offline Doza28

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:24:44 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on this one Erdl  :D

At least i have a good solid spare chassis.

I finally got some running on the new car at the weekend. GREAT FUN!! Especially on that nice Tarmac surface thats shiny when its dry. Super slippery when wet!

I had some tuning issues which seemed to be linked to the tank not venting correctly. Once i had addressed this, she was brilliant even on stock carb settings.

Short vid  8)

Proline Rally

instagram @antonshobbies

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Nice to see you got it happening  :good:

You need to get one of them mini tripods for your camera  :unsure:
MCD RR5 Factory Team Limited Edition with Loew Racing upgrades (:

www.mcdracing.com.au   Facebook    Contact Us

Quote of the day...
"I will say this though  The RR5 has NO TROUBLE with oversteer.  OR making quick work of tight corners   (something the Losi 5ive struggles HUGE with)"

Offline Cardinal Racing Canada

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
Fantastic! looking forward to more videos.  I guess I should start a thread for my proline Subaru as well lol.

Offline korando

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »
Very nice video.....Do you know guys where can we find parts for these models?
I have an mcd Subaru proline