Author Topic: Rob's Brushless X5 Rally  (Read 14804 times)

Offline robw

Re: Rob's Brushless X5 Rally
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
too complicated, bracket is too thin anyway
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 RACERUNNER
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline robw

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:33 AM »

esc and motor now fitted
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline robw

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:36 AM »
been a while since I posted any updates, got some alloy upgrades from RC FOX,a few under the esc/motor, ran it for the 1st time a few weeks back, acceleration was very quick, unfortunately kept losing traction to record mega speed but just under 70mph is a good start, steering was all over the place so needs to be sorted, the esc is a work of art, has a acceleration "delay" so can accelerate slower, also altered gearing to higher ratio to slow the acceleration down, 
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »
Hey Rob.... Looks good  :good:

When you say "steering was all over the place".... Do you mean too much/quick steering or not enough at times??

What gear and ramp setups are you running??
MCD RR5 Factory Team Limited Edition with Loew Racing upgrades (:

www.mcdracing.com.au   Facebook    Contact Us

Quote of the day...
"I will say this though  The RR5 has NO TROUBLE with oversteer.  OR making quick work of tight corners   (something the Losi 5ive struggles HUGE with)"

Offline robw

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

When you say "steering was all over the place".... Do you mean too much/quick steering or not enough at times??

Steering was too much/quick, I more or less got that sorted via transmitter but when the power kicked in the car would loose traction and do a doughnut, gearing was 19/64 changed that now to 22/64, don't know what "ramp" is? whatever comp car came with, what does it do?
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline dgav407

• Respected Member
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »

Steering was too much/quick, I more or less got that sorted via transmitter but when the power kicked in the car would loose traction and do a doughnut, gearing was 19/64 changed that now to 22/64, don't know what "ramp" is? whatever comp car came with, what does it do?

Rob, the ramps (in the LSDs) control the locking/unlocking of the diffs when traction is lost..... The ramp angle (60, 90 or 120 degrees) determines how quickly the locking occurs. The Comp models have 'open' diffs with no locking. You could try using a thick/heavy grease in the front diff, in my experience it worked well in the earlier generation of MCD models.

It might just be your set-up has too much torque for the poor old tyres!!!!

Clive

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »

What Clive said above  :good:

Forgot you have the comp version..... I noticed that I few pages back (in this topic) you upgraded the centre diff, I assume you upgraded to a FT LSD... otherwise wouldn't be an upgrade  8)  Most likely has the standard 90 degree ramp in it.

PS.... If you have never had the centre diff open, you should check it to see if it still has grease in it next time you dismantle the centre section.
MCD RR5 Factory Team Limited Edition with Loew Racing upgrades (:

www.mcdracing.com.au   Facebook    Contact Us

Quote of the day...
"I will say this though  The RR5 has NO TROUBLE with oversteer.  OR making quick work of tight corners   (something the Losi 5ive struggles HUGE with)"

Offline robw

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
thanks guys,
didn't realise it was lsd, will  see how the car performs with tweaks on the esc, plus the higher ratios, is it worth upgrading to f/r lsd's?
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline dgav407

• Respected Member
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2017, 12:54:55 AM »
Try some thick/heavy grease in the front diff first.... I have used the FG Special Grease, sourced from Ross Mods.

There is no guarantee that the front/rear LSDs will prevent the loss of traction.... Have you tried adjusting the suspension geometry? I'm sure the guys at Ross Mods can help.

I don't have any recent experience of the latest on road tyre compounds but I recall the blue (thermal) compound tyres did need a few laps to get to their operating temperature, no good giving it the beans from the start!!!

Clive

Offline robw

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2017, 01:55:08 AM »
if I get time, I will take it out again tomorrow on new settings, trouble is it's a mega powerful motor probably not designed for this car,
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline robw

« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2017, 02:56:21 AM »
Try some thick/heavy grease in the front diff first.... I have used the FG Special Grease, sourced from Ross Mods.

There is no guarantee that the front/rear LSDs will prevent the loss of traction.... Have you tried adjusting the suspension geometry? I'm sure the guys at Ross Mods can help.

I don't have any recent experience of the latest on road tyre compounds but I recall the blue (thermal) compound tyres did need a few laps to get to their operating temperature, no good giving it the beans from the start!!!

Clive
wont be getting f/r lsd's for this car, only problem (im guessing) is whats good for a petrol is not necessarily good for a brushless that's got a 20 hp motor, so all mods will be done via esc
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN

Offline robw

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2017, 02:08:43 AM »
blew front tyres from ballooning,probably just as well I ran it without the bodyshell
MCD BRUSHLESSV4 CHEETAH
MCD BRUSHLESS X5
RAPTOR PETROL CATAMARAN