Author Topic: Topic Titles  (Read 6561 times)

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
Topic Titles
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
Ok guys decided to start a new topic to discuss the all UPPERCASE titles that have been getting around on this forum.

Yes, i did a while a go make a change to the forum code to prevent members (mostly one) from posting topics with all UPPERCASE words in the subject title of the topic.  It is not commonly known or accepted that one member posts in all UPPERCASE on any forum that i have used to this date.... and when it is an admin member it is an even more difficult situation.

I personally don't feel that the current topics are a "mess"...

and imo it's working out quite well.... as it also helps with converting titles that have been entered in all lowercase, and i have got the code to work so that it does "catch" most of the regular acronyms that are used on this forum and converts them to UPPERCASE, and converts almost all other words into Title Case format.   

Here is a description of what the code does....

Glue words like "or", "is", "to", "of", "by", "the", "and", "with" are left/converted to lowercase, unless it is the first word in the topic title, in which case it is converted to Title Case.

Acronyms like "UK", "MCD", "RR", "RRV4", "FT", "LSD", "CVD", "LSOR" are  left/converted to UPPERCASE.

All other words are  left/converted to Title Case.

Obviously there are going to be some acronyms that i have missed, or could not have known about... like "RR5", which i will add to the code.  But, i can not possibly add every single thing known to man/woman.

So please, if you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to post or if you would prefer to remain confidential then don't hesitate to pm me.

Regards,
Franco.

Offline Redline

Re: Topic Titles
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
Good stuff Franco.

Offline Ive

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:41:55 AM »
Nice one.

Will now feel like all posts are equal, rather than some being 'more equal than others' !!

If you could add some code to, limit, the, use, of commas.

And also :) :) :) the use :) :) :) of smilies.

:) , :) , :) , :)

Then we will also be able to understand them :D

Offline harryhackenbacker

• MCD GURU
  • Legend Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »
Posts are based on ,Knowledge ,Research ,Contacts ,time , Experience and Commitment ,
these give forum content for all to read and learn from ,and unless they are absolute Idiots,
they are free to contribute to ,in any amount at any time , Lack of knowledge on MCD is  what
we put right ,where to get things done ( is your location in your signature by the way ) we
also help (difficult parts ) .
So unless you have an Inferiority Complex ,post away !!! :D :D  I still learn from the forum,
and by talking to people who have been doing it longer than me , Happy Posting It's free.

Offline BeatsMe

• Legend Member
    • MCD Racing Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
Added a few more acronyms to the Title Case code this morning... here is an update of what the code does....

Glue words like "a", "or", "is", "to", "of", "by", "the", "and", "with" are left/converted to lowercase, unless it is the first word in the topic title, in which case it is converted to Title Case.

Abbreviations like "x", "mm", "cc" are left/converted to lowercase.

Acronyms like "OR6", "UK", "RC", "RR", "FT", "II", "MCD", "RR5", "LSD", "CVD", "III", "BRCA", "RRV4", "LSOR" are  left/converted to UPPERCASE.

All other words are  left/converted to Title Case.

Any suggestions or comments, please don't hesitate to post here.